Question:

From Singapore:

My seven year old niece was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. We are devastated.The doctor have confirmed that she needs to be injected twice a day. I found an advertisement for Lantus(insulin glargine) which needs to be injected once a day. Do you have any feedback on its effect? Is there really no way of curing this problem?

Answer:

Lantus (insulin glargine) is not yet available in the USA. Apparently, its launch was so successful in Europe that the company needs to do some planning before launching it in the largest insulin market in the world. It will not replace the need to use short acting insulin. Indeed, I expect to use it where we give short acting insulin before meals and glargine once a day.

At present, there is not cure for diabetes. Help is available for you and your child to aid in the adjustment. You do need to accept the fact you have diabetes in the family and get about caring for it. People who deny diabetes often don't care properly for it and are actually harming the child.