From Maine, USA:

Periodically, I have suffered with hand cramps. Recently, I had a severe one in my left hand. I do take calcium. No doctor seems to know the answer.

This is a tough question. As you have already experienced, there is not an obvious answer to the cause. However, there are some motor neuron diseases which can occur. With the aid of a test called an electromyogram (EMG), you can rule out other forms of more central neurologic diseases. You will have to work with your physician to try and work the cause of this problem