Question:

From Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada:

Diabetes runs in both sides of my family. I myself have an appointment to be checked due to blurriness and high blood sugar levels. My daughter is four years old and has been complaining of not feeling well. She's been listless one day and extremely hyperactive the next. Today, I checked her blood sugar level and she was 19.2 mmol/dl [346 mg/dl]. Should I be concerned and get her checked out? Is it likely that she has diabetes? Diabetes runs in both sides of my family. I, myself, have an appointment to be checked due to blurriness and high blood sugar levels.

Answer:

I don't think it would be sensible to make any diagnosis based on your findings. However, you should certainly share your concerns with your doctor, and he should make his own judgement about your daughter. If your test was accurate, this is abnormal and should not be ignored.