Question:

From Marion, Indiana, USA:

I am 39 years old and have type 2 diabetes. Seven months ago, I had a test because of continued elevated liver enzymes, and was diagnosed with cirrhosis and NASH [non-alcoholic steatohepatitis, a liver disorder that is associated occasionally with diabetes]. Will diabetes rule me out of a liver transplant?

Answer:

I know that at our institution, NASH is not considered a reason to be excluded from receiving a liver transplant. You may need to work with your doctors regarding any aggravating factors, such as elevated lipids, poorly controlled diabetes, and weight loss.