From, USA:

I have type 2  diabetes and chronic fungus infections. Is there a connection?

Fungal involvement of the nails is more common in diabetes. Toenails are more common than fingernails to be involved. This is an important issue is the evaluation of feet because the toenails become thicker and more difficult to trim. There are several treatments for fungal involvement of the nails. There are topical treatments but the problem is getting the medication into the nail tissue itself. As you can imagine, topical therapy would be fairly long. There are also systemic medications used for 8-12 weeks at a time. However, monitoring of liver enzymes is important in this situation. Therefore, I would discuss this therapy with your doctor with a full discussion of risk versus benefit.