Question:

From Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, USA:

My two and one-half year old daughter has diabetes, and I am currently pregnant with my second child. Some parents will only allow one vaccine to be given per week, instead of the normal two, three. or four vaccines per doctor visit. For example, at two months of age, an infant will receive four vaccinations (IPV, HIB, DTP and Hep B). Is there any research to support that giving multiple vaccinations at one time to infants can potentially lead to diabetes? So, would it be better for an infant with a history of diabetes in the family, to receive one vaccine per week instead of all at once?

Answer:

There is no literature that supports giving the shots spread out over any interval other than the recommended interval. That is the one that has been evaluated in the clinical trials. The recommended schedule provides the best immunity. You could give each shot at its recommended interval. It would involve a lot of trips to the doctor.

There is no science to support this practice, and I expect there never will be. One would have to give millions of doses to see a difference in the number of cases of diabetes. The drug trial would cost billions of dollars. We could cure diabetes with that much money for research.

The bigger issue is vaccines and diabetes. It is in vogue now as other things have been in the past. Remember, type 1  diabetes is triggered years before its onset.

The Centers for Disease Control recently presented data on a case control study which was large enough to see a difference. The conclusion was that there was no increase in risk from vaccines.