Question:

From Bismarck, North Dakota, USA:

My eight year old son has been putting on weight for the past year. I'd say that he's put on about five to ten pounds this summer alone. He does go to the bathroom frequently, but I can't really say that he drinks frequently. Although when he does drink, he really chugs it down and will always finish what is offered. He is always hungry. A few minutes after a meal is finished, he's asking when he can eat something else or what's for supper. I don't allow him to overeat which is why I don't understand why the weight keeps coming on. Also, diabetes runs in his father's side of the family. Several members have it including his grandma. Weight problems and high blood pressure also run in that side of the family. Should I just be encouraging the kid to exercise more and eat less, or do you think I should investigate the diabetes possibility?

Answer:

Your pediatrician will usually perform a routine urinalysis on children, annually, at their scheduled check-ups. This is the only test that I would suggest, at this time, for your son. Most of the symptoms you describe can be quite normal in eight year old boy. A routine urinalysis is a good screening test for diabetes and should be done at his next scheduled check-up.