From Hot Springs, Arkansas, USA:

My nine year old son was diagnosed with typeá1 diabetes at the age of 19 months. He is growing slowly, and his bone age, at this time, is five years. Is this due to his diabetes? Is it possible that he may need a growth hormone? How will this affect his blood sugars?

If his diabetes has been under control for most of his life, I don't think it's the diabetes. To address your further question regarding causes and possible treatment of delayed growth, you should seek consultation with a pediatric endocrinologist.