From Merseyside, UK:

I run a training programme for youth candidates aged 16-18, I have a candidate who has type 1 diabetes. His performance on the course is good, but he has problems attending. Following a discussion with his parents, they have informed me that he becomes depressed, has great difficulty sleeping, and generally lacks confidence in his abilities, using his illness as an excuse to get out of things. Is there any advice/support I can give him?

A referral to a therapist seems in order for this candidate. Depression needs to be ruled out before manipulation is assumed. I would certainly like to see him take some psychological testing.

Posted to Behavior