From Alta Loma, California, USA:

My six year old was diagnosed type 1, two years ago. Many times during the honeymoon period, we believed and hoped he was misdiagnosed. As a firm believer in the power of the mind, I have often wondered if we had never told him he had diabetes and had not convinced him he had it, if he might have gotten better. Is the honeymoon period the time it takes one to mentally kill off what little cell producing ability one has? Did we convince my son having diabetes?

The disorder of the immune system which causes type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes usually takes months or even years to reach the point at which additional insulin is required. When first diagnosed, the beta cells still have some, albeit a much diminished, ability to produce insulin so that when supplements are initiated there is often a time called the honeymoon when insulin needs are quite small. After some weeks, or even months, there is always a complete dependence on insulin. You should not feel his diabetes has in any way been "suggested" to him.

Posted to Honeymoon and Other Social Issues