From Havant, Hampshire, England:

For the past month, my eight year old daughter, who has diabetes, has had repeated urinary infections. This has now subsided, but for the past two weeks she has had stomach pains, and, since yesterday, she has had diarrhea. Her doctor only seems to be interested in prescribing painkillers and creams, but we would like to know what is causing this. Any ideas?

I think that there are two possibilities that you should ask your daughter's doctor about. The first is to be absolutely sure that the urinary tract infection has completely cleared. In girls, these can sometimes grumble along and even need prophylactic treatment for a period. Another possibility is that the UTI has precipitated the symptoms of celiac disease which is another autoimmune condition affecting the cells lining the upper intestine that complicates around 8% of cases of type IA autoimmune diabetes. The standard test for this is to look for anti-transglutaminase antibodies in the serum. Of course, the gastroenteritis may be due to a quite separate infection even perhaps from the same organism the caused the UTI.