Question:

From Hope, Arkansas, USA:

I have several boxes of pen-fills that I accidently put in the freezer. The insulin is for my 17 year old exchange student who takes four shots a day. We were separating a supply for him to take to school, and I absentmindedly placed them in the freezer. I found them six hours later, and I can't tell if they froze. Bubbles still moved, the solution was clear, and appeared no different than the others. Are they still usable?

Answer:

Insulin should not be frozen, but if the pen-fills were clear and the bubbles moved, then I think that this had not taken place, and it would be fine to use them.

[Editor's comment: Dr. O'Brien has taken a very pragmatic approach. However, it is difficult to be sure of the reliability of the insulin if it semi-frozen (whatever that means!) and if using these cartridges, I'd surely want to do very frequent blood sugar testing. It'd probably be cheaper to go to a pharmacy and get some new insulin, and not to worry about it.

P.S. I called both Novo-Nordisk and Lilly, and the customer service reps both said it'd be wiser not to use the product since it had been below 36 F. WWQ]