Question:

From Manila, Philippines:

I am a 17 year old who is at high risk of getting diabetes. I am the only person in my immediate family who does not have diabetes. I know that I should watch what I eat as early as now. What should my diet consist of?

Answer:

The Food Guide Pyramid is a good guide for eating appropriately. Maintaining your weight in the normal range for your age is also helpful in preventing diabetes. Start a consistent exercise program if you are not currently exercising. If you are exercising, don't stop. I would recommend if you are struggling with weight gain that you find a dietitian who can help you adjust your life style to a more health conscious one.

JM