From New Zealand:

My 12 and a half year old son has had type 1 diabetes for two years and really hates it. He's a good natured boy, but has changed very much since his diagnosis. We struggle every day with him. I was wondering if there are pancreas transplants or any sort of cure around the world. We struggle every day with him.

Unfortunately, there is no cure at present and islet cell transplants are still in the very early stages.

Diabetes is a real pain in the neck and it isn't fair to be the one to have diabetes in the first place. Having said that, diabetes doesn't have to get in the way of life, and for many thousands of people it is dealt with and kept on top of and they get on with life. Take the boatsman Steve Redgrave for example. Has diabetes stopped him? It all depends on your attitude to diabetes. Okay everyone, I help with diabetes and would rather not have it, but having diabetes doesn't have to limit what you do in life and what your ambitions in life are. That is the most important thing about diabetes; once you have accepted it and stopped fighting against it, then can you move on in life and get what you want out of life. Don't use diabetes as a reason for giving up.

So, stick at it, get involved in your son's diabetes and do what you want to do without it getting in the way. Keep up with life's challenges.

Posted to Transplants and Research: Cure