Question:

From Waterman, Illinois, USA:

My four year old son has type 1 and was diagnosed at age two. We have had real problems keeping his blood sugars in control. He swings anywhere from 100-450 mg/dl [5.6-25 mmol/L]. I have been very interested in the pump, but his endocrinologist insists he is much too young. Do you have any recommendations on web sites from which I can print out information on pumps and their benefits? What is a medical necessity acceptance letter? Is there a format for the doctor to use? Does it come from the pediatrician or the endocrinologist?

Answer:

We have a good overview of insulin pumps, with links to many other pump-related web sites. The pump companies will all work with your son's doctor to prepare the letter of medical necessity.

JSH

[Editor's comment: Many children your son's age are now using insulin pumps successfully. I would suggest that you contact the pump manufacturers for the names of doctors who use them in small children. Your endocrinologist may get a different perspective in talking with one or more of these physicians.

It is essential, especially in small children, that you have a diabetes team that will support your pump efforts. SS]

Posted to Insulin Pumps