Question:

From Lago Vista, Texas, USA:

I am a 42 year old, type 2, diagnosed about eight years ago, not in control. I occasionally get an abscess on my stomach, armpit, or butt crack. Usually, they will become so inflamed, they will open, then drain, and be okay after that. Of course, this is painful. I have tried taking antibiotics, but it does not seem to kill the infection. Rather, taking them, just drags the process out. Is there anything that can be done once I notice the infection is starting so I don't have to go through the entire process?

Answer:

The most important thing that will help you avoid these infections is to get your blood glucose in control. When glucose is elevated, your body's ability to fight off infection is impaired. My recommendation to you is to get your blood sugars into really good control (HbA1c less than 7%). One additional thing, that might help, is to use Hibiclens in your shower. This is a really good antibacterial soap we use on the skin for folks wearing insulin pumps and it has really cut down on skin infections. If you use it every day for a week, you can then probably cut down to using it every three to four days. It is available in the pharmacy.

VV