Question:

From Virginia, USA:

I was diagnosed one and one-half years ago with type 1. My insulin doses are low enough to believe my pancreas must be producing something. I am curious whether or not I should get a C-peptide test. Do people, newly diagnosed with type 1, get C-peptide checked?

Answer:

Usually it isn't necessary to measure C-peptide levels unless there is some clinical questions for which blood glucose patterns cannot help. You should discuss this with your medical care team to see what might be gained with this expensive test.