From Atlanta, Georgia, USA:

Our seven year old daughter has recently been dealing with fatigue. She has also had poor skin color, several skin infections requiring antibiotics and her hair has lost its luster. She is also eating us out of house and home after six and one-half years of being a particular eater and has started drinking and going to the bathroom more. Allergy testing revealed allergens. and, although she started shots over a month ago, the symptoms continue. Now, her pediatrician has agreed to test further. Even she does not like the look of my child. Several teachers at school are concerned at her coloring and lack of energy. She also cress at the drop of a hat and is quick to snap at a flip comment.

My husband's aunts and uncles all have type 2 diabetes and mentioned having her tested. Will there always be ketones or sugar in the urine? If there's not, should we still stick her for blood work? We'd rather go with the least invasive/hurtful thing, and, if the urine will answer our questions, we'll stop there.

Unless she is really unusual, by the time you have so many symptoms you should have glucose, but maybe not ketones, in the urine. If she is going to the bathroom at night, I'd be most certain there would be glucose in the urine if she had diabetes. If it is negative, check a few at times after big meals, and the last resort is blood tests.