Question:

From Baltimore, Maryland, USA:

I have gestational diabetes and was put on a diet that I seem to be unable to handle. I have cut down on my sugar and carbs and I have no energy now. What would happen to me and/or my baby if I do not follow my diet strictly?

Answer:

I don't know exactly what diet you are on, but if you aren't feeling well, you should contact your doctor to see if the problem is related to the diet or some other problem. If you need to restrict your calories very severely in order to maintain normal blood sugar, you may need insulin so you can eat a little more. Make sure you aren't spilling ketones from severe carbohydrate restriction which isn't good for the baby or you.

In any case, check with your own doctor.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes and Meal Planning, Food and Diet