Question:

From Sumter, South Carolina, USA:

My 11 year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for a year and a half. For the past four weeks, she has been having dizzy spells not associated with the diabetes. I took her to her endocrinologist who ordered blood work. Everything came back normal. She is now being referred to a neurologist. She seems to be the dizziest all through the morning into the afternoon. She also seems to be sleeping a lot more than usual. She has missed a lot of class time because of the dizziness and not being able to concentrate. Her blood sugar readings have been good. She is on Humalog and Lente at breakfast, Regular and Humalog at dinner, and Lente at bedtime. We are curious as to whether or not the Lente could be causing these spells of dizziness.

Answer:

If her blood sugar is normal during these events, it is highly unlikely for the diabetes to be contributing to the spells. It is entirely appropriate to seek an opinion from a pediatric neurologist.