Question:

From Eugene, Oregon, USA:

I am a 25 year old who was diagnosed at age 19. Why is it, when I am on four or more shots a day for my type 1 diabetes, and I am out of the home, I am questioned about what I am doing? What is the best way to answer questions in a professional way when they don't listen to your explanation that you have diabetes?

Answer:

My advice is to just state simply, plainly, "I am taking insulin." End of story. No other explanations needed.

I am sorry that you are made to feel like you owe other people an explanation, but I know it is that way for many people living with diabetes.

KS

Posted to Other Social Issues