Question:

From Heber City, Utah, USA:

I am 35 years old and in my third trimester of pregnancy. I took the one-hour glucose tolerance test and had a reading of 158 mg/dl [8.8 mmol/L]. My doctor gave me a suggested diet. Is it safe to use "Equal" and if so how much? I really enjoy sugar and cream in my coffee in the morning.

Answer:

Equal is a compound formed from two amino acids: L-phenylalanine and L-aspartic acid. Since it is not a sugar, it is a good sweetener for people with diabetes. It is also safe in pregnancy.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes and Meal Planning, Food and Diet