Question:

From Wheelersburg, Ohio, USA:

My son-In-law has diabetes and just underwent back surgery, which lasted for ten hours. They put in two rods and six screws. He came out of surgery on a pump that was giving Demerol [a strong medication for pain relief], which they kept him on for I think about three days, then they gave him Tylox [another strong medication for pain relief]. He started being very confused and tripping really badly. They put him on Percodan [a third strong medication for pain relief] and he is still very confused. It has been eleven days since he had surgery and he is still confused. His doctor says it is not unusual. What do you think?

Answer:

Narcotic medications can induce an altered level of consciousness and mental status. This is not related to diabetes.

Posted to Other Medications