From Albany, Georgia, USA:

My three year old son has had type 1 diabetes since he was two. He is on three shots a day and is taking Humalog and NPH. He also weighs 40 pounds, but he is tall for his age. I read something about a four-year-old with an insulin pump. I just want to know if it would be safe for my child also. Is it possible or even safe for that matter for a child so young to be on the pump?

Insulin pumps have been used by many preschoolers around the world. However, you should discuss this with your diabetes treatment team, assess how your son is now doing on a multidose insulin regimen, what HbA1c goals you want and are able to achieve, how much hypoglycemia he is getting, etc.

We find that insulin pumps are an excellent way to provide insulin but involve a lot of work and commitment on the part of parents and the diabetes team. You may want to go to some chat rooms and "speak" with parents of little kids to see how they feel about the pump.

Posted to Insulin Pumps