Question:

From Scottsdale, Arizona, USA:

I have survived type 1 diabetes for 30 years, and I have had minor problems. I finally initiated an aggressive exercise program and started to have many problems with low blood sugar, passing out and going into "drunken type" actions. I have decreased insulin, and it has somewhat leveled. My cholesterol and blood pressure have both come into normal range, but I was told by my doctor that my liver is showing deterioration from diabetes. My lipid count is high. Does that mean they found high amounts of protein in my blood? I am looking for something that I might be able to do or take to correct or stop this.

Answer:

It is not surprising that adding an intensive exercise regimen has caused intermittent hypoglycemia. If you can avoid hypoglycemia, the benefits of this activity are great. However, you must be able to work with your doctor to avoid the low sugars. Sometimes, this means several to many modifications of your routine until you can avoid hypoglycemia. I would stress the importance of working with your doctor on this project.

Your kidney status is followed by checking the protein in your urine. Your cholesterol is a different issue. High levels of cholesterol can occur from poor control of diabetes. This high cholesterol, in turn, can make your kidney function worse. Sometimes, the liver can be affected by diabetes because of poor control and deposition of fat in the liver. This causes a kind of "hepatitis." If this fat-induced hepatitis occurs, it can make your lipids worse. The best preventive step to prevent fat deposition in your liver is to work on control of your sugar. You will have to work with your doctor as to how significantly your liver may be affected.

DTQ-ONCGBDM20000903