From Gunnison, Colorado, USA:

My 10 year old daughter was diagnosed at age three with type 1. We have decided to use a pump and get many conflicting answers from different sales representatives regarding which pump is the best. I know this is putting people on the spot, but which brand do you recommend?

Why not talk to your diabetes treatment team and ask them this question.

[Editor's comment: We are not in a position to recommend a particular brand of insulin pump. They all work equally well, but each manufacturer incorporates certain features into pump design. While one brand appeals to one person, another will have the features someone else is looking for. It is the job of sales representatives to sell their particular brand. In addition, your diabetes team might prefer a certain manufacturer, and/or your insurance company may make the decision for you.

I would suggest the following:

1. Visit the MiniMed, Inc., Disetronic Medical Systems, and Animas Corporation websites to familiarize yourself with each of the pumps.
  2. Contact each company for videos/CD-ROMs about each of the pumps and review the material carefully.
  3. Discuss your daughter's options with your insurance provider and diabetes team.

Posted to Insulin Pumps