Question:

From Fresno, California, USA:

If a patient is in good diabetes control and has had one successful pregnancy, would a physician have any hesitation with an additional pregnancy? What would be the risk of birth defects to the baby? I have no diabetes complications, and my HgA1c is usually 6.0-6.5% on an insulin pump.

Answer:

Each pregnancy is different. Just because you went through one without problems, does not mean a subsequent pregnancy go smoothly. That said, it looks like you are in good shape with a normal HbA1c and no additional complications of diabetes. The risks to the baby are as low as you can make it. Trying for another baby sounds reasonable to me. Be sure to take folic acid before conception and during the first 10 weeks of pregnancy.

Posted to Family Planning