From Sacramento, California, USA:

Our 10 year old daughter has had diabetes for eight years and was diagnosed, six months ago, with Hashimoto's thyroiditis [an autoimmune disorder of the thyroid gland] Antibodies were present, but she has no other symptoms. Our pediatric endocrinologist has her on thyroid hormone replacement pills. I've read where no treatment is necessary. Do you think treatment is of any benefit at this point?

Growth is critical and the presence of thyroid hormone is critical at this age. You don't want to wait until the gland fails, and it will. Likewise, with thyroiditis [inflammation of the thyroid gland], the gland will grow in size and create a goiter -- a bad idea too. My advice is to treat it now to avoid problems later on.

Posted to Thyroid