Question:

From Orlando, Florida, USA:

I am 16 years old and have always been a "vegetarian". Ever since I was about two, I've never liked meat. So, for the most part, my diet has consisted largely of pasta, cereals, breads, crackers, etc. I think i have low iron, but it seems like my weakness is affected by sugar. I feel tired all the time, I'm moody, my hands and feet get very cold at times, and I find that large amounts of sugar make me feel "sugar-brained" or "sugary" in the head, although low amounts of sugar when I'm tired seem to pick me up. I don't know if this is significant or not. Is low blood sugar often confused with low iron or vice versa? Should I get myself checked?

Answer:

I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful but your symptoms are too vague to mean much. If you feel 'poorly' then it would do no harm to consult with your physician.