Question:

From Lyndhurst, New Jersey, USA:

My son has had type 1 diabetes for one year now. Why, when I test him one and one-half to two hours after eating dinner, is his blood sugar about 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L], and then, about three to four hours later, in the 200s mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]? I know he is not eating anything in between. He does take Humalog before dinner.

Answer:

His insulin dose and/or type is not correct for what he's eating. Obviously, he is taking longer to absorb his food than the current insulin is lasting. You should discuss this with your diabetes team before making any alterations.