Question:

From Pennsylvania, USA:

My 12 year old son had type 1 diabetes for a about 14 months. Just recently, while giving himself in an injection, he complained of getting a metal taste in his mouth and some soreness at the injection site. Have you ever heard of this before?

Answer:

No, I haven't. I think this was probably a coincidence. For there to have been any connection between insulin injection and an almost simultaneous taste sensation, he would have to have injected into a blood vessel. Had he done this (very unlikely), then he would have become hypoglycaemic.