From Ithaca, New York, USA:

What are the dangers of lowering your blood glucose level rapidly, aside from hypoglycemia? I've heard that doing so can cause retinopathy? Is this true? Although I generally have good control, I have occasional highs, which I counteract with lispro insulin. Is this a bad idea?

The association between lowering blood sugar and worsening retinopathy is not about acute changes, but occurs when someone with chronically bad control makes rapid improvements (e.g., as occurs when a young woman with diabetes out of control works hard to obtain tight control appropriate for a diabetic pregnancy).