Question:

From Georgia, USA:

I am 12 years old, have had diabetes for seven years, and have eczema (all around my nose and mouth). It never seems to get any better even with medication. I take Humalog, Regular, and Lente. My blood sugar has been running from 50 to 400 mg/dl [2.8 to 22.2 mmol/L]. Do you think that my diabetes has anything to do with my eczema?

Answer:

Your diabetes and eczema are not directly related. However, high blood sugars will predispose you to skin infection which will obviously be more likely if you have broken skin.