Question:

From Vermont, Washington, USA:

After being told four times by my primary physician and gynecologist that nothing was wrong with me, although I was growing facial hairs out of nowhere, my dermatologist decided to do a few tests. Guess what, the tests came in and it showed very high levels of testosterone. Also, the tests showed an abnormal glucose of 56 mg/dl [3.1 mmol/L] (Reference range is 65-125 mg/dl [3.6 - 6.9 mmol/L]) and a low T3 Uptake, T4, free calculated of total of 26.5 (Actual range is 27.8-40.7). I am yet to take these tests to my primary doctor and gynecologist (who refused to have me tested for the initial cause of facials hairs) for interpretation. Of course, the low glucose count will have to be addressed at this point, but before I see these doctors, please tell me something! I am concerned and I need to be armed. My mother has diabetes mellitus. So, what does this mean to me including the fact that low sugar count showed on my test?

Answer:

I would suggest you get a referral to an endocrinologist to evaluate your thyroid function, your facial hair, and your blood sugar. Your facial hair might be caused by an underactive thyroid. A TSH test is necessary to further diagnose this. As far as the blood sugar of 56 mg/dl [3.1 mmol/L], if it wasn't drawn in a grey top tube, it might have been falsely low if the blood sat around for several hours before being processed. Again, you need to discuss all these issues individually with your own doctors.