Question:

From New York, USA:

I have been diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. So, I will need insulin eventually. Will my pancreas ever come back? If yes, how long will it take?

Answer:

I think you need to ask your doctor about these questions because the answers depend on the cause of the pancreatitis. If the pancreatitis is due to hyperlipidemia, malnutrition, or alcohol abuse, treatment of the primary condition may make insulin unnecessary. Your pancreas is unlikely to come back if it is completely removed, but almost complete regeneration, within a year, has been reported after partial resection for a benign tumor.