Question:

From Akron, Ohio, USA:

I work at a adult day care center. How can I best prepare a Halloween punch called Witches' Brew so that all clients can enjoy? We have senior citizen clients with all types of diabetes. Basically the drink is made of Diet 7-Up, apple juice, red cinnamon candies and ice cream. Can you suggest a way of creating this drink or products I could use keeping in mind clients with diabetes? Maybe using sugar-free ice cream?

Answer:

This is very commendable that you are trying to have a punch that is able to work in all meal plans. A couple of ideas without seeing the recipe is to try a little extra of the diet 7-Up and then just allow one portion (or probably not over six ounces) for everyone. I would not use sugar free ice cream since it has about the same calories as the regular ice cream, but ice milk might be a good choice since it is lower in fat, which is beneficial for all of the residents there. Again, if you can give me the recipe, I might be able to be of more help. A small amount of the red cinnamon candies or even black licorice strings is fine.

LSF