From Kentucky, USA:

My 11 year old son has had diabetes for four years, is now on multiple injections, is not in great control. His doctor is recommending the pump. I don't know why this scares us so, but how do we know that a pump is right for us? What can we expect when we start this?

I would suggest two books: The Insulin Pump Therapy Book and Teens Pumping It Up: Insulin Pump Therapy Guide for Adolescents by Elizabeth Boland from the Yale diabetes group. These will give you some good information and ways to help make these decisions.

[Editor's comment: You need to understand that the insulin pump is not always the answer to poor control. The pump is only a tool which makes things easier, but using it requires a lot of work and commitment. I would also suggest that you check out Is pumping for you? and review information posted on the MiniMed, Disetronic, and Animas websites. SS]

Posted to Insulin Pumps