From New York, USA:

I had a miscarriage a few months ago and now am about four weeks pregnant. At about the same time, for both pregnancies, my blood sugars have gone over 200+ mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] even after checking one-half hour to one hour after meals. My control before pregnancy was great. My blood sugar was very rarely over 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L]. Is this due to insulin resistance? The first time I was pregnant the highs only lasted a few days, and then my blood sugar when back down to normal. I have to double or triple the amount of insulin I take now. I read that normally you do that at the end of the pregnancy. Any thoughts?

Your high blood sugars are most likely due to increased insulin resistance from the pregnancy. This is very common and can happen even early in the pregnancy.

Posted to Family Planning