Question:

From Richmond, Virginia, USA:

My 10 year old daughter has had diabetes for six years. Last year, she went on the pump. We both love it! Lately though, we are having trouble with the site coming off during the night. I have tried covering the site with Op-site, but my daughter says it itches. We have used anti-itch creams to ease the itch of previous sites. I don't know how to help her. Any suggestions?

Answer:

She may be getting sweaty at night which will cause the adhesive to loosen on the infusion set. First, make sure that the skin has been cleaned with something like Op-site which gets rid of the topical fat cells. Secondly, you can use a sports adhesive or Nu-Skin under the tape portion of the infusion set to help it stick better. Third, make sure you coil the excess tubing and fasten it to prevent tension and the catheter pulling out.

These suggestions usually work. I hope they do for your daughter.

SS

Posted to Insulin Pumps