From,Calgary, Alberta, Canada:

I'm a 23 year old Australian with type 1 diabetes. I am is set to marry a Canadian and move to Alberta. have taken a long, long time to come to terms with the disease and to undertake the responsibility for caring for myself. Consequently, when I set up home here permanently, I don't want to lose ground. So I am hoping for the names of some specialists here in Calgary, or organizations or support groups based here, or anything that might help me in moving my condition and starting my new life on the best possible foot.

I think that you might start by asking your fiancee to find out exactly how you enroll in the Canadian Medical System so that you are assured of supplies. At the same time, I would contact The Canadian Diabetes Association, 15 Toronto St, Suite 1001, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5C 2E3. Tel 416-363-3373 or Fax 416-363-3393 to tell you if they have a sub-office in Calgary that could in turn help you to get in touch with a local support group.

It would help, too, if your present doctor would write briefly to your new one.

Additional comments from Kris Swenson, diabetes nurse specialist:

It is amazing that I am spending the weekend here in Calgary presenting on diabetes to a group of family practice physicians when your message was posted. I think that you will be pleased with the resources in Calgary. The suggestion from this group was to contact the Canadian Diabetes Association right in Calgary. They will have a list of specialists and diabetes