Question:

From Manchester, New Hampshire, USA:

I just had my urine tested for microalbumin, and the result was 14.1 mg/dl. I have diabetes, and my hemoglobin A1c is 7.0 %. Should I worry about this result ? If so, what can I do to lower it?

Answer:

A level of 14.1 mg/dl is about double the upper level of normal, but is below 20mg/dl, which is the point at which most diabetes doctors begin to think of drugs like ACE inhibitors. It needs to be watched. In the meantime, aim for the best possible level of control and ask the dietitian in your diabetes care group about safely reducing your protein intake.

[Editor's comment: See How to Protect your Kidneys for further advice. WWQ]