Question:

From Memphis, Tennessee, USA:

I had gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy; now I have been diagnosed with diabetes (supposedly type 2). I am starting on insulin since the pills aren't working for me. When I get pregnant again (in a few months), will I be able to use the pump?

Answer:

You can use an insulin pump. However, your physician will most likely keep you on shots for now and then consider changing to a pump after pregnancy.

[Editor's comment: Pumps work very well during pregnancy.

The issue of whether (or when) to start using a pump for a woman who's considering a pregnancy soon, is partially related to what level of control of blood sugars is being obtained. Ideally, the HbA1c should be brought into the normal (non-diabetic) range before pregnancy. If this can be accomplished with insulin by injection, then a pump might not be needed. However, if the patient wants a flexible lifestyle, or had problems with severe morning sickness during previous pregnancies, or just can't get the sugars down with shots, then starting a pump before pregnancy makes sense. WWQ]

Posted to Family Planning and Insulin Pumps