Question:

From Plano, Texas, USA:

My seven year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for two years. She and our family have worked together wonderfully and creatively to make her meal plan nutritious and delicious as well as "fun". She is concerned about what low carb or freebie foods she will be able to eat once she gets her palate expander and then braces that will follow. After talking with her orthodontist, our typical "fun" low carb foods, such as popcorn, peanuts, almonds and pretzels, will not be allowed. Do you have any suggestions for "fun" freebies or low carb snack foods beside the typical meats/cheeses, diet Jello, and popsicles, etc.?

Answer:

I think you have hit on most of the foods that would be considered to not add carbohydrates to her meals and still be easy to eat. Keep in mind that small amounts of other foods which do contain some carbohydrates may be incorporated, as for example, the "Light" yogurts at 100 calories per cup. Take out about one-third cup, add a little plain non-fat yogurt or let her squirt on some "lite" Cool-Whip, and she has a decent-size snack for few calories with few carbs. The same holds true for the sugar-free puddings. If these items are not going to be covered with extra insulin, just give a smaller amount and maybe add a little of the above-mentioned low-calorie filler. Some of the drinks, such as sugar-free Tang or sugar-free hot apple cider, or the low calorie cranberry juices taste mighty good for everyone, but have little if any carbohydrates.

I discussed this with a general dentist who does see quite a few folks with diabetes, and he would want to be sure that the orthodontist knows the child has diabetes and that these foods are important in the meal plan. Also, my consultant feels consuming the foods which are not to be allowed would be okay (cause no adverse effects). If the appliance or braces are harmed, they can be fixed, but to not allow them might be more detrimental. He said for children that are quite overweight and trying to lose weight, but now have braces, they are told it is fine to eat raw veggies and popcorn, at least by the orthodontists he works with.

It sounds like your family is doing a very commendable job of helping to make your daughter feel that she is a part of your family and her diabetes is accepted, so keep up the good work.

LSF