Question:

From Johnstown, Pennsylvania, USA:

I am 21 years old, have had diabetes for three years, and was on a public assistance program for health assistance. When I turned 21, they cut off my help. I have a seven month old daughter, and my income is very limited. Do you know of a health insurance plan that is or doesn't cost much that I would be able to get on?

Answer:

With one child to support you might be eligible for Medicaid and beyond that there is a second tier of help in all states. For children it is called the Child Health Program and there is a parallel one for adults called by different names in different states. You should call the State Department of Social Services; but be prepared for formidable application forms.

Posted to Social Issues: Insurance/Costs