From Maryland, USA:

I took particular interest in your answer, "To be more precise regarding the abdomen, when injected above the umbilicus, the absorption of regular insulin will be slightly quicker than when injected below or on the side of the umbilicus."

My 9 year-old is on a pump and things are going wonderfully (knock on wood). However, we have noticed that there are certain "sweet" spots on his abdomen for his catheter, while other areas we stay away from because of apparently poor absorption. Could you please direct me to any references, if they exist, that might have areas of the abdomen (and elsewhere on the body) mapped out as to the level or rapidity of insulin absorption?

I don't believe these exist. In fact, I would go further to say that this varies with each person, depending on previous patterns of injections, preexisting lipohypertrophy, and physical activity.

Posted to Insulin Pumps