From,Tampa, Florida, USA:

I am 20 years old and have type 1 diabetes. My doctor has told me that I am beginning to become insulin resistant, therefore she put me on Avandia. Should I be taking a medication that is for type 2 diabetics? By taking this, will I have serious side effects?

I am limited by not having any information regarding the extent of any insulin resistance you may be experiencing. It is possible that if you have a family history of type 2 diabetes, you may also run into problems with the issue of insulin resistance. The medical literature does contain previous studies evaluating individuals with type 1 diabetes using medications similar to Avandia [rosiglitazone]. They results did not demonstrate a very potent effect in bringing down the blood sugars. It is also recommended that if you take this medication, you have to have your liver functions monitored closely over the first year of therapy. However, it appears that Avandia is less likely to cause liver problems, compared to Rezulin, which has been taken off the market.

Posted to Medications: Pills for Diabetes