From Illinois, USA:

My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes almost a year ago. It fluctuates often. I encourage her to eat right, check her blood sugar as instructed and exercise daily. Not only am I encouraging her, I check her sugar, and prepare insulin and administer it to her as well. I also walk and exercise with her. I have her in counseling, I feel she remains in denial.

Are there any pen-pals groups for the youth that are established? She feels as if she is alone in this battle.

The American Diabetes Association's magazine, Diabetes Forecast, has pen-pal lists at the back of each edition, and they are categorized by age-group. I also encourage you to talk about your concerns for your daughter with her diabetes team, as they may be able to give you some ideas about new strategies to help her. Finally, you may wish to express your concerns with your daughter's counselor.