Question:

From Connecticut, USA:

I understand people with type 1 diabetes are born with the susceptibility to develop the disease and it appears that something in the environment, whether it be a virus or toxin, must trigger it. Can a dog bite cause the onset of diabetes?

Answer:

Explaining what causes diabetes is a complex question. You are correct that there is some genetic basis for getting type 1 diabetes. In addition, there is some role the environment plays in getting diabetes. I'm unaware of any evidence that diabetes can be caused by a dog bite.