Question:

From Los Angeles, California, USA:

My doctor found my glucose level elevated at my last physical, and now I think I might be pregnant. What could the complications be? I have a family history of diabetes, and I want to know what health risks a pregnancy might bring.

Answer:

Before you worry about the risks of diabetes, you should confirm the pregnancy. If there is a question about whether or not your blood sugar is elevated, then you should be assessed with a standard glucose challenge test. Even if that test is normal, it should be repeated at 24-28 weeks of the pregnancy. This is routine for all pregnant women.

There are risks to the fetus from diabetes such as spine defects, heart defects and excessive growth. However, the risk is greatest in women who already have diabetes in poor control at the time of conception. These abnormalities can be screened for with specific blood tests and ultrasound.

Posted to Family Planning