Question:

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

I am 46 years old and have suffered from dyspepsia for more than 20 years. I have had a great improvement recently thanks to a new medication, but it seems that this improvement came with symptoms of diabetes. Indeed, I urinate more often than usual, although I don't seem to have increased thirst or hunger. No significant weight loss either. I have normal weight (172 pounds) for my height (6 feet). Is it possible that a suddenly more rapid digestion put an increased load on my pancreas? Is this a temporary adjustment or is it diabetes?

Answer:

It is not likely that improved esophageal function (the movement of food through the food pipe from the mouth to the stomach) is a cause of diabetes. I would look for other reasons or possibilities. It can be the case that esophageal function deteriorates with blood sugar control in people known to have diabetes. It is also not clear whether you have had your blood sugar checked with these symptoms. Having your blood sugar checked to confirm or exclude the diagnosis of diabetes is the most important thing you can do.